Image hosted by Photobucket.com
A Day in the Life of a Canadian Girl: My Favourite Family Recipe With Memories Included

Thursday, June 02, 2005

My Favourite Family Recipe With Memories Included

Well it is finally that time of year when stalks of rhubarb are waiting to be cut.
My parents have always had a large batch of rhubarb growing in their backyard. As a kid, I can remember taking a freshly cut and cleaned stalk and dipping it in sugar and eating right in the backyard. Sweet and sour at the same time. My mom would also stew it by cooking cut rhubarb with a little bit of water and sugar until it was like jam. It was wonderful as is or over ice cream.
But my all time favourite recipe has to be my great-grandmother's rhubarb pie recipe. I can remember having this pie all summer long, every single year for as long as I can remember. When I got older, I started making them myself and delivering pieces to her in the nursing home. It always brought a smile to her face. After she passed away in 1993 and my grandmother was on her own, I would bring pieces of pie to her at her house, and later to her in the nursing home.
This recipe is one of those recipes that brings warm memories everytime I make a pie. I can still remember sitting on a high stool in my grandmother's kitchen watching her make this pie while my great-grandmother sat in the kitchen, just watching the two of us. My sister was to little to enjoy the cooking part but we could hear her watching cartoons in the living room. The four of us spent many days like this. How my sister and I loved to spend the day or the weekend with our grandmother and great-grandmother.
From when we learned to speak to the day she passed away, we called our great-grandmother "More Gram". We just couldn't understand what a great-grandmother was. We knew that she was our grandmother's mom and my mom's grandmother, but after that we just didn't get it. Mom tried to explain that she was more than a grandmother and after that, the name stuck. More Gram was a wonderful woman and I was so lucky to have her in my life until I was 21. She loved having her only 2 great grandkids over any time, any day. We played cards together, made meals, went shopping or just visited. She had a very large impact on my life and how I live it. She taught me the importance of family and of being together. One of the last things I told her that if I was to ever have a daughter, she would have the name Katharine.
I miss you More Gram.


More Gram's Rhubarb Custard Pie

4 cups cut rhubarb (or 3 cups + 1 cup cut strawberries)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
pinch of salt
1 bottom pie shell

Mix all ingriedents together and add to an unbaked pie shell. There is no top crust to this pie.
Bake at 350 degrees for at least 70 minutes. In my oven it takes about 80 minutes. It will be done when the custard it set, and the top of the pie is golden brown and the rhubarb has dark golden brown edges.

5 Comments:

Blogger the baker said...

hey jennifer!

i'm really curious about rhubarbs.. can you tell me what it's like? i've always thought it was more of a vegetable than a fruit. is it sweet? i'll try looking around for some. though i've never seen it here before...

11:03 PM  
Blogger Vavoom said...

I love rhubarb! How bizarre that it's the centerpiece of your recipe. My mom ate rhubarb all the time when she was pregnant with me. Whenever I eat rhubarb, I always think of my mom.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Cheryl...
Rhubarb is a stalk that is grown from a root. It is a stringy vegetable, like celery, and is red and/or green in colour. But it is very tart and sour. However it is cooked, it definitely needs sugar.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

This sounds like a fantastic recipe, Jennifer. My dad is a HUGE rhubarb fan and my mom won't make him anything with it (she refuses to touch the stuff to be honest) - I might have to nick this recipe sometime soon and make it for him! Thanks!

1:04 PM  
Blogger the baker said...

oh no jennifer, just checked and realised that there is no rhubarb here at all. apparently they don't bring it here...that's sad!

1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

2 peas Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next |
Site Ring
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: A Day in the Life of a Canadian Girl
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet