Image hosted by Photobucket.com
A Day in the Life of a Canadian Girl: The Axe Fell

Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Axe Fell

I am so sorry it has taken me so long to update. The weekend was a right off as I was feeling really rough with the rash/allergic reaction I am having. I actually didn't leave the house all weekend. I saw my family doctor Monday and got put back on Prednisone (thank god!) and she is supposed to set up an appointment for me to see an allergist. I haven't heard anything yet and if I don't hear my tomorrow, I will call her. My biggest fear is that I will run out of Prednisone before I see the allergist and I will be right back in the beginning.

Things at work were very bad Monday and Tuesday. The axe fell with several hundred people across the province losing their job in our division. We lost one full time and 2 occasional people from our department. The f/t was going to retire next year anyway and the package she receieved was unbelievable. If she would have left last year she would have gotten nothing. One occasional had been with us 20 years but this was a second job for her and she was ok with it. The third was pretty upset as she had a f/t job in another department and worked with us occasionally. Her entire department got let go. But losing the people also means that we can't fill their shifts. So we still have the same amount of work with less people to do it. As sad as I am for everyone, the selfish side of me is happy that I still have mine. I love my job and the prospect of finding another like the one I have was terrifing. It is not a common job.

On top of all the job losses, it was announced that we are receiving an analyzer from another department and will now be responsible for all that testing. I am actually looking forward to it. It will be something new to learn (which I always think is a good idea) and I have already put my name in for the training responsibility. Everyone else is busy with committees and job duties and I don't have anything I my plate and I think that I am ready. I have been there over 2 years now and I don't think me being added some responsibility is too much to ask for. I mentioned this to my boss and he actually said that my name has been already put out there to be a trainer between the other department's supervisor, himself, and their boss, our manager. Made me feel kind of good! And our band new set of analyzers are coming next month. Ths will be a longer process as it has to be shipped in, set up, calibrated and patient verified. And of course everyone has to be trained. We also have our lab accreditation and safety audit. All of this is happening at the same time within an 8 week period. It will be sterssful and very busy but if we can get through these next 8 weeks, we can get through anything! Rumour has it that after the 8 weeks everyone has to get reorganized, there may be job losses again. I know that it could be me but after speaking with my boss, their thoughts are that they want to keep us young scarce skilled workers. That would leave me safe. I guess I will find out for sure in 8 weeks.

After work last night, 4 of us went out and had maragritas and food. We blew off some steam, openly talked and tried to keep a positive outlook on the whole picture. It was exactly what we all needed and we had a great time. It is a fairly common occurance to go out Wednesdays but since we hadn't in awhile, this one was quite therapeutic.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

Sorry to hear things aren't going entirely your way.

That rash sounds nasty.

As for work. Being busy is better than sitting around all day doing nothing. It sounds like your boss values your skills. That's a good sign.

Good Luck

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Red Wolf said...

We just had a "reduction in force" this week where I work too, so I know what you mean. Fewer people, more work. I'm glad to hear you kept your job though. Layoffs and cutbacks are scary.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

I dont' know why business are so convinced that fewer people can still produce the same amount of work as many. They cut back on lower workers so that they can give more money to upper management- then make you guys work your ass off to try and cover the loss!

I hope this rash thing gets worked out. I've been there. It is horrible!

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've not well understood all you've written cause my english needs to be improved but I guess you have a lot of skills which are increased in a short time with your manager's help...
Nowadays it's so important to growth and to enjoy what we're doing...
Best wishes
Kiss from France
Pascal
http://pascal.lepelletier.free.fr/dotclear/index.php

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Whenever i hear about people possibly losing their job, it upsets me. ask questions get answers

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

2 peas Bloggers
Join | List | Previous | Next |
Site Ring
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: A Day in the Life of a Canadian Girl
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet